As one of the fastest growing cloth diapering brands, BumGenius won the cloth diapering world over with the BumGenius Original 4.0 and we had to jump in on the new 5.0 bum action!
As avid cloth diapering advocates, we had to try the 5.0 out for ourselves and see what the fuss was all about.
BumGenius released their original pocket diaper in 2005 and it quickly became a top rated nappy. With stay-dry fabric and butterfly closures, the Original was like no-other. When BumGenius released the Original 5.0 it certainly did not fall short of its predecessor.
Pocket Diapers are great for many alternatives. With (usually) two inserts included, one for newborn and the other for older Littles, these style diapers make changing a breeze. Because the insert soaks up all the mess, they essentially stay very clean leaving laundering an easy process. A great advantage in the BumGenius Original 5.0 is that the newborn insert can double up with the longer insert and be used for heavy wetters. The inserts don’t require usage together but I have always found it to be much easier.
The versatility of the BumGenius Original 5.0 is amazing. From newborn (although we waited until our Littlest was around 14lbs) until approximately 35 pounds this genius nappy will be with you throughout all of its glory. Ranging in usages from heavy wetting, day or night needs and new to grown babies the BumGenius Original 5.0 was redesigned with you in mind! Or, your Littles bum at least (;
The BumGenius Original 5.0 has the same stay-dry inner fabric but changes can be seen in the pocket, which holds the inserts where a newer, updated trim with slimmer angles were added.
As seen in the 4.0, the Original 5.0 also has the butterfly closure, adjustable width and custom elastic especially curated for cloth nappies.
Here is the breakdown as described on the BumGenius website here
- Proprietary elastic designed specifically for cloth diapers
- Stretchy stay-dry lining is super soft , wicks moisture away from delicate skin, and provides a trim fit
- Waterproof outer cover with insert stopper at waistline prevents leaks
- Durable plastic snaps
- 3×3 snap down design adjusts the sizing to fit small, medium and large sizes (approximately 7-35+ pounds)
- Trim, snug and comfortable stretchy tabs provide a custom fit
- Pocket accommodates inserts for customized absorbency
- Diapers are bundled with two inserts: a newborn insert and a one-size insert for your older baby
- Newborn insert works as an overnight booster for older babies or as extra absorbency for heavy wetters
With the 4.0, a major complaint of mine is that we had used BumGenius for a couple months and ended up returning them to the retailer because the backs of our diapers started tearing and worsened with each wash. I like to think we may have just had a bad batch and because of that have decided to try out the other BumGenius nappies which you can find the review on here
We recommend BumGenius Original 5.0 for parents who want a pocket diaper that is customizable to their diapering needs and fits perfect from newborn to toddler. The BumGenius Original 5.0 is a great option throughout the livelihood of cloth diapering as the BumGenius Original 5.0 are one size.
You can purchase your BumGenius diapers here
- One Size
- Snap and Hook and Loop Closures
- Custom Absorbency
- Leakage if baby is on back or side
- Extreme wear after short time using
- tearing in waterprof lining